at Haydon Abbey School and Pre-School
Science is really important at Haydon Abbey School and Pre-School.
We are currently working towards gaining a PSQM science award.
At Haydon Abbey, we know Science is going well when:-
• Teachers have good subject knowledge
• Children are curious and ask questions
• Learning is child led with opportunities for children to lead their own experiments
• Lessons are practical
• Lessons are well resourced
• Children are engaged and motivated
• Lessons are well planned
• Assessment informs (questions, next steps)
• Children’s learning is recorded in a variety of ways
WHAT THE CHILDREN AT HAYDON ABBEY HAVE TO SAY ABOUT SCIENCE:
“You learn brand new stuff.”
“You get to do experiments that are cool!”
“My favourite thing about science is when you start and it gets going and you get really into it.”
“I like science because you get to do experiments on things and then predict and you don’t know what is going to happen.”
To celebrate our love of science in May 2016 we held our very first Science Week.
We kick started the week with a fantastic assembly from ‘Mad Science’ which was really fun and engaging.
Throughout the week, every class got involved and experienced lots of different science experiments.
“Science Week was great, we loved making slime, rockets, volcanoes, the snail race and bird feeders.”
“Science week was great because we got to do lots of different experiments!”
SCIENTRIFIC SCIENCE CLUB
“Science club was really cool because we got to do more interesting experiments and we got to do more experiments.”